Kicking It Up a Notch

Kicking It Up a Notch

Postby parkinlot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Sorry I haven't been contributing much lately. No excuses...

Anyway, I heard an interview with Rob Halford from Judas Priest and he was saying how he dreads singing the song Victim of Changes now because at the end there is a scream that he had no problem hitting in his 20's but the audience still demands. Made me start thinking how many other musicians regret being so awesome and kick it up a notch.

Here is the JP song from 1978. If you go to 6:50 you will here the scream as intended.

Here is a more recent version... I have to give him props for at least giving it a shot almost 40 years later . 8:35 is the scream...

I would suggest you listen to the whole song because it is awesome.

Here are some other songs where I think think the artists kick it up an notch.

Deep Purple - Space Truckin' - Machine Head - Ian Gillian goes into a register that only dogs can hear - Start at 1:47 it builds until 2:01 he unloads.

Aerosmith - Draw the Line - Again, Steven Tyler cuts loose, not sure how he has a voice after this. Start at 2:35

Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer - The whole chorus is in a very high key throughout the whole song but then they actually modulate to a higher key at the end of the song. I have tried to find video of them performing this live to see how they do it. What they do is let the audience sing it. Start at 3:15 so you can actual here the key change.

Can you think of any others?

Bob
parkinlot

Rock Star

Re: Kicking It Up a Notch

Postby semeraro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Great post! I heard Living on a Prayer recently and noticed how high it is. I'd never noticed that before. I don't listen to this type of music that much, but aren't there a lot of Zepplin songs that Robert Plant can't really sing the way he used to?
Semeraro
semeraro

Site Admin

Postby parkinlot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:25 pm

but aren't there a lot of Zepplin songs that Robert Plant can't really sing the way he used to?

Yes, and that is why Zeppelin is not touring making millions of dollars. John Paul Jones must be really pissed off.
parkinlot

Rock Star

Postby reeb3 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:16 am

parkinlot wrote:
but aren't there a lot of Zepplin songs that Robert Plant can't really sing the way he used to?

Yes, and that is why Zeppelin is not touring making millions of dollars. John Paul Jones must be really pissed off.

I'm sure Jones is pissed off, but imagine how terrible it would be for them to tour and Plant have NO voice...
Reeb3
reeb3

Star Time

Return to Talkin' Music