Petite League - Nothing

Petite League - Nothing

Postby semeraro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Petite League recently released its third album, continuing a string of great pop records from song writer Lorenzo Gillis Cook. My favorite, perhaps of all his songs and that's saying something, is "Nothing." It would fit seamlessly into what, for me anyway, is one of the greatest albums of the last 20 years, The Vaccine's What Would You Expect From The Vaccines. But it's not a copy or homage. It just taps into that same vein of pure, perfect pop energy that you want to touch. But you can't.

Nothing starts out with confident drumbeat, but instantly distinguishes itself when Cook brings in his voice just a half beat before the guitar. Not what you'd expect. The chord pattern is way cool. The lyrics are also a great play on what you'd expect from a song called "Nothing." You're thinking, depressing, break-up. No, the refrain is "I ain't scared of nothing, but losing you." The lyrics here are another of many examples in Cook's work that come across as pure bubble gum. But they are somehow ageless. There must be a little bubblegum in all of us. And somehow, though he's a young guy, he's figured that out. I'm sure he does well with the young folks. But he's got a lot of fans in the MAR sect as well. Here, he moves through a story of a relationship that's undefined. But you get the sense that the singer, no matter what he says, would like it to be.

Our clothes will hit the ground forever
Boyfriend, girlfriend or whatever
As long as I'm with you

My favorite line -- and it's a great one -- "Plant a kiss where I used to smile. It might not hurt, but I'll feel it for a while." I've been there. You have too. You know it. And in the final refrain he switches from the "scared" lyric to "afraid," conveying a sense of maturity. Perhaps a hard learned truth. It may be that only bubble gum can be a platform for expressing so much with so few words. This one clocks in at just over 2 minutes, and a lot of that is instrumental.

Musically, it's bouncy guitar chords that follow oh so close to the beginning of the lyrics and a great distorted guitar turnaround with cymbals flashing all over the place to bring us back to the next verse. This sort of little touch is rare in the indie world. And I a joy to listen to. After the final chorus, Cook plays a guitar solo that he doubles with his voice. Somehow, he makes the guitar feel like his voice and vice versa. A lot of big time groups could learn what an instrumental break should be like from this guy. The song ends with another solo drum beat that is somehow less confident than it was at the beginning. It doesn't quite seem to know when to end, which is, of course, the perfect ending for the song.

Hear "Nothing" on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/21W3OfSeQeVNtkoQQX3kBE

Semeraro
semeraro

Site Admin

Return to New Music Blog